Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Cocoa Frosting

In my house growing up, each member of the family had a unique birthday cake. It was their cake baked for them on their special day. Call it birthday induced egocentrism manifested in pastry form. It is one of my favorite family traditions. My dad was carrot cake with cream cheese frosting, my mom was angel food covered with soft, white peaks of 7-minute frosting and drizzled with bittersweet chocolate. My two sisters were yellow cake with cocoa frosting and pound cake with sweet cream and berries, respectively. But my cake was and is chocolate through and through. Chocolate layer cake with cocoa frosting. I've had this cake every year on my birthday as long as I can remember. Last year, I decided to deviate from my chocolate, chocolate cake with a toasted coconut layer cake with coconut cream, and I'm not kidding, my cake collapsed. It was like the cake gods were telling me to not mess with a good thing. (I like to blame this cake mishap on a higher power, rather than my shortcomings as a baker) Well cake gods, I got the message. It's chocolate cake with cocoa frosting for me from here on out!

This recipe is very simple. 10 minutes, five ingredients, one bowl, and pure chocolate heaven! Just make sure your butter is at room temperature before you get started.


In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, beat butter until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes. Beat in vanilla. In a separate bowl, whisk together the cocoa and powdered sugar. With the mixer on low speed, add cocoa and powdered sugar mixture to the butter. The frosting will look very dry and clumpy at this point. Add the milk, 1 Tbsp at a time, until frosting reaches spreadable, smooth consistency. Scrape the sides of the bowl and whip with the mixer speed on high for 1-2 minutes more. 


There you have it! Frost a cake, cupcakes, or spread on graham crackers.

Cocoa Frosting 

recipe by Sweet & Savory

Ingredients:

2/3 cup butter, room temperature
3 tsp vanilla
2/3 cup cocoa
4 cups powdered sugar 
8 Tbsp milk 

Directions:
    
In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, beat butter until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes. Beat in vanilla. In a separate bowl, whisk together cocoa and powdered sugar. 

With the mixer on low speed, add cocoa and powdered sugar mixture to the butter. The frosting will be clumpy and dry at this point. Add milk, 1 Tbsp at a time, until frosting becomes smooth and spreadable. You may not use all 8 Tbsp.

Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl, and beat for 1-2 minutes more. This recipe yields enough frosting for a 2 layer cake with extra for spreading between a few graham crackers.

No comments:

Post a Comment